Tuesday, April 22, 2014

PACK the K on Autism Awareness Day


Since I started ASD KC, one of the things I find most comforting is knowing that I am not alone. I have joined countless online groups for parents of children with autism. I have called numerous businesses around the metro looking for activities and places for our children to go to feel comfortable and accepted. I have read literally thousands of articles about ASD.
I enjoy knowing that there are other parents out there that know what it is like to make 15 cheese sandwiches. I am delighted that there are others that provide the 'mommy blanket' when necessary. I feel inspired and motivated when I talk with local businesses that want to help but don't know where to begin. But mostly, that feeling of loneliness and seclusion that often fills the pit of my stomach is diminishing and being replaced with HOPE.
A hope that one day all of the '1 in 68s' will no longer be a number but someone's friend. A hope that inclusion will not only become an epidemic but a way of life. A hope for the future; my '1 in 68s' future.
As I try to navigate the legal world working towards making my dream of ASD KC a non-profit reality I take comfort in knowing that there are others out doing the exact same thing in their communities. I am seeking out more support, more friends, more people that only make cheese sandwiches and preform the 'mommy blanket.'
On May 4th, I am heading to Kauffman Stadium to show support and solidarity to all the other '1 in 68' parents in the metro. I am going to make friends, tell stories, to hug, cry, and laugh. I am going to to show my appreciation for the Kansas City Royals Organization for putting on Autism Day at the K! And maybe I will watch a little baseball too!
So, come join me! Come pack the K! Come make friends and share stories. Come give your '1 in 68' a  name and a face!
 1 IN 68   LAWSON age 4


 1 IN 68   LOGAN age 6

Need tickets? Grab them here.
See you at the K!
May 4, 2014
@ 1:10 pm
as the Royals take on the Detroit Tigers
&  RAISE Awareness and 
ACCEPTANCE for Autism 








No comments:

Post a Comment